Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Solved Copy Kunena from a testsite to a live site?

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1 by stevent
I've been testing and setting up Kunena on a local testserver. I want only a certain Joomla user group to have access to the forum. The user group I've created is nested as a subgroup of Registered users.
It's quite a work to set up all the categories with the right permissions. I don't want to go though all the settings again on my live site. So I thought I would install Kunena on the live site first and then copy the Kunena tables from the database of the testsite over the default tables of the live site.

This does seem to work fine to some extent, all categories & settings are there. As a site super admin I can see all the categories in the frontend, but no Kunena menu along the top.
If I login as a user with the appropriate rights, I can access the forum component, but it's empty. There's no forum menu either. Somewhere along the line the user doesn't have access to the forum, even though the id of the Joomla user group is the same between my testsite and the live site.
Even if I change the access level of a category to Public, still nothing is visible.

And still: when I create a new category and set the access to public, nothing is showing either…

So my questions are:
- what am I doing wrong?
- what is the best way to copy a Kunena setup with categories from a test site to a live site?
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by stevent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #2 by rich

- what is the best way to copy a Kunena setup with categories from a test site to a live site?

Remove all Kunena tables on the live page, then import the Kunena tables from the test page. Adjust the prefix and install Kunena.
But create a backup previously. But it's not a good idea, to make this steps, if you've already problems with Kunena on your test page.

- what am I doing wrong?

I'm sorry, I cannot know what you did wrong. Maybe wrong user assignments? Please read this doc: docs.kunena.org/en/faq/categories-only-for-certain-user-groups
Maybe it's a better way if you create on your live server a test page, so you have the same requirements.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by rich.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3 by stevent
[solved]

I finally found the solution to my problem!

I went into the first category (not the root category, but the first one below). Just below the primary user group list, there's an option: 'including underlying groups'. I set that to 'No' and saved the category. Then I set it back to 'Yes', and voilá: my categories are visible to the user.

About the menu not being visible, that is solved too:
First, if you want a menu item linking to the forum in your main menu, it is best to create an alias directing to one of the Kunena menu items, like the index or home
Second, make sure the Kunena menu items have the appropriate access rights. (In my case it was set to the wrong user group from earlier tests)

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds