Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Question Vbulletin to Kunena or not?

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #1 by fulvio
Hi!

I'm worried about my community and hope to find some answers here.
I have a large community with 2'000'000 of posts, 30'000 members on vbulletin.
But vbulletin for me is dead and I need to migrate.

On the other hand my community is not enough. I need to build important functionalities around this one, some home made and other ones plugins that we will adapt.
In this way Joomla offer the best platform moreover Joomla offer Jomsocial that I found very interesting.

In fact since a few years with social networks, I think that forums are getting old even if there is no better solution to manage content between a community.
I like the Jomsocial plugin that gives to kunena this social approach.

Anyway I asked for a migration to 2 companies (2700$ for the first one and 500$ for the second one) and they told me that private messages could not be migrated :(

In vbulletin we use prefixes to threads. We have then a plugin that allow us to filter threads by prefixes...vers useful. This exist on Kunena ? both companies didn't know about this functionlity...

On vbulletin we also have tags on threads, and each tag is an hyperlink to a generated page who link to all attached threads to this tag. this exist in kunena ?

I ask my self is Kunena have also some moderation tools to check double registrations, ip etc...

I'm worried about migrating on kunena. I'm afraid that this solution will be not enough powerful and with enough functionalities.

Another solution would be to migrate to solutions like xenforo, then check if there is a bridge between jomsocial/joomla and xenforo...but not sure they exist and moreover I dont know what kind of functionalities will not work between jomsocial and xenforo.

Those are all my fears and any opinion is like gold to me :)

Thanks
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by fulvio.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #2 by Shimei
Replied by Shimei on topic Vbulletin to Kunena or not?
Just curious .... which version of Vbulletin were you thinking? Vbulletin 5 has cms so there's little reason to use Joomla. If you're looking for a forum only solution most go with Vbulletin 4 and bridge it.

I am curious about your venture as I trashed my kunenea forum for Vbulletin 5 some months ago. I could not find another to migrate the data over so I began over. This may not be an option for you.

If you care to take a peek at my vbulletin setup: www.christforums.org

Good luck
Shimei

More
8 years 7 months ago #3 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic Vbulletin to Kunena or not?

Shimei wrote: If you care to take a peek at my vbulletin setup: www.christforums.org

Great site BTW. :cheer: I was fascinated by one of the recent threads this morning and read through it. I do suggest adjusting the body width size (currently it's 100%) to make the text a bit more readable. There are many articles on the internet that talk about the amount of characters per line. Back when I had a 1024px width screen this display wouldn't have been a big deal. But now I have 1920px width of display, so reading to the next line is more difficult to find due to how wide it is. Somewhere in the range of 1280px to 960px is the optimal viewing display as I understand it.

As for Kunena, it's still one of my favorite Joomla extensions out there. B) Yes it could have more bells and whistles, but it does pretty well out of the box. In terms of managing the community (IP banning, deleting accounts, sending PMs, ect), my plans are to let my community component handle that end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shimei

More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by fulvio
Replied by fulvio on topic Vbulletin to Kunena or not?

Shimei wrote: Just curious .... which version of Vbulletin were you thinking? Vbulletin 5 has cms so there's little reason to use Joomla. If you're looking for a forum only solution most go with Vbulletin 4 and bridge it.

I am curious about your venture as I trashed my kunenea forum for Vbulletin 5 some months ago. I could not find another to migrate the data over so I began over. This may not be an option for you.

If you care to take a peek at my vbulletin setup: www.christforums.org

Good luck
Shimei

Hi !

I am on a vb4 forum and don't want to migrate to vb5 who has no future. You are on vb5 ?
Vb5 managed by a new company and it's a disaster. Yes it works but in 3 years just a few plugins because all the community left this board.

Vb4 is good but getting old. I can go on like this a few month not more.
VB5 really is dead and the cms is not enough powerful for my needs.

Vbulletin 5 works, yes, but they are loosing all their clients. Proably if they dont have a big change with a VB 6 very different that will attract develpers to build plugins...it will be the end... I know very well vbulletin since I use it since more than 12 years...

Today the best forums are xenforo and IBP.. but for my needs they dont have a cms enough powerful that's why I need to use Joomla.

That's why I ask here informations about what would be the consequences migrating from vb to kunena. But I'm afraid that all my users will ask me to go back to vb...

Josh gave you good advcices !! I would say the same thing !!
Josh what do you mean by " my plans are to let my community component handle that end." ?? kunena has those functionalities ? if yes you still need manual work to manage this aspect

More
8 years 7 months ago #5 by Josh
Replied by Josh on topic Vbulletin to Kunena or not?

fulvio wrote: Josh what do you mean by " my plans are to let my community component handle that end." ?? kunena has those functionalities ? if yes you still need manual work to manage this aspect

I have yet to see IP blocking tools in Kunena. ;) Also other security tools that let you cross reference other accounts with recorded IP addresses which helps you more easily find people with multiple avatars. It is a common occurrence for people (active users) to create fake accounts to hide behind so that it doesn't damage their own reputation. This enables folks to be very nasty to other people which is why its ideal for admins to be equipped with the right tools for various cases.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #6 by Shimei

fulvio wrote: Hi!

I'm worried about my community and hope to find some answers here.
I have a large community with 2'000'000 of posts, 30'000 members on vbulletin.
But vbulletin for me is dead and I need to migrate.

On the other hand my community is not enough. I need to build important functionalities around this one, some home made and other ones plugins that we will adapt.
In this way Joomla offer the best platform moreover Joomla offer Jomsocial that I found very interesting.

In fact since a few years with social networks, I think that forums are getting old even if there is no better solution to manage content between a community.
I like the Jomsocial plugin that gives to kunena this social approach.

Anyway I asked for a migration to 2 companies (2700$ for the first one and 500$ for the second one) and they told me that private messages could not be migrated :(

In vbulletin we use prefixes to threads. We have then a plugin that allow us to filter threads by prefixes...vers useful. This exist on Kunena ? both companies didn't know about this functionlity...

On vbulletin we also have tags on threads, and each tag is an hyperlink to a generated page who link to all attached threads to this tag. this exist in kunena ?

I ask my self is Kunena have also some moderation tools to check double registrations, ip etc...

I'm worried about migrating on kunena. I'm afraid that this solution will be not enough powerful and with enough functionalities.

Another solution would be to migrate to solutions like xenforo, then check if there is a bridge between jomsocial/joomla and xenforo...but not sure they exist and moreover I dont know what kind of functionalities will not work between jomsocial and xenforo.

Those are all my fears and any opinion is like gold to me :)

Thanks

Curious, have you decided on which platform? Who did you go with? Vbulletin, Xenforo, or did you not migrate from your software?

I'm totally happy with Vb 5 for both its CMS and forum. My site won board of the month from Vbulletin and is currently featured on Vb's facebook wall.

I know a lot of people have a difficult time in deciding between the forums you listed, so I was just curious.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Shimei.
The following user(s) said Thank You: baba

More
7 years 7 months ago #7 by davidveg1
Thank you :)

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #8 by 24x7servermanagement
Which vbulletin theme you are using www.christforums.org/ ? We have just purchased vBulletin5 for our tech forum ( forums.24x7servermanagement.com/ ) but our developers are struggling to customize it.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by 24x7servermanagement. Reason: link reference forgot

More
6 years 4 months ago #9 by 24x7servermanagement
Ok i found it. You are using sultantheme .

More
6 years 4 months ago #10 by Shimei

24x7servermanagement wrote: Ok i found it. You are using sultantheme .

Hi,

I can see you found sultanthemes, however I do not use a custom theme anymore, but custom css to the default style. The style you see is actually the default style with lots of Css.

Enjoy,
Shim

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds