Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved How to change profile username?

More
9 years 5 months ago #1 by adgilcan
I am setup as a super-user in Joomla 3.3.6 and my login name there is very complex and not what I want to use as a profile name anywhere. However Kunena appears to take that username and use it as my default forum profile username. My question is, how can I change the default username to another, more appropriate name?

I had the same problem in Jevent but the solution there doesn't seem to work in Kunena. In Jevents I set myself up as a linked Contact in Joomla and the profile automatically updated to reflect the new name. That doesn't seem to be happening in Kunena.

Any help here for a new user (I have looked through the FAQs and done a search) would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
Kunena uses Joomla accounts. If you want to change the Joomla account name, change it in the backend with the Joomla User Manager. After you do that, use the Kunena Synchronize Users facility (check all the boxes).

After that, login with your changed Joomla account and everything should be as you want.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adgilcan

More
9 years 5 months ago #3 by adgilcan
The trouble is there is a security issue there. My Joomla username is half of my login details. Publicly displaying it in the forum destroys it's value and makes the website entirely reliant on the password strength.

Why cannot it be changed as is the case in the Jevent extension and as I described in my OP?

Thanks for answering so quickly, though.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
Kunena uses Joomla.

See User registration and/or general login issues .

You can change your existing Joomla super user account name with the Joomla User Manager.

If you do not want to use your Joomla super user account when you use the forum, create a new, different account in Joomla as a "registered user" and assign global moderator permissions to that new account.

I do not know anything about jEvents or how that extension has anything to do with this issue, sorry.

More
9 years 5 months ago #5 by adgilcan
OK

That is one way round it but it is not ideal as if I am logged in to the Joomla backend I am also automatically logged into the Website front end. I will have to log out and back in as a different user in order to do as you suggest, I think.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #6 by sozzled

adgilcan wrote: If I am logged in to the Joomla backend I am also automatically logged into the Website front end.

That's not possible. The backend has a different login to the frontend. Unless you have done something unusual, you need to login to the frontend separately from the backend.

I suggest that you do not use your Joomla super user account when you want to use the forum. By default, Kunena does not display the super user accounts in the user list (which is a good security feature) but you can change this if you want.

When I create a website, I create two accounts for myself: a super user account (to perform backend operations) and a "normal" registered account. I then assign Kunena global moderator permissions to the normal account if I want to do forum moderation. A global moderator can do most things (such as ban users, edit posts, delete topics, merge/split topics, move topics, etc.). Super users can do a couple of other things in the forum but most of the time you will not have to login to the front end with your super user account.

Does that help?

More
9 years 5 months ago #7 by adgilcan
Yes, very much so, thank you.

You are right and that is much the best way to proceed.

Thank you

D

More
8 years 8 months ago #8 by YoMacDaddy
Is there a way for a registered forum user to change their username. We just started using the Kunena forum and we have several registered users who signed up using their real names as their username. I would like to give them the opportunity to change their profile information themselves. Is this possible? I know I can change it in the user manager in Joomla. But, I have not found a way to do it within Kunena.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #9 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic How to change profile username?
You only need the joomla option, kunena takes the joomla option.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by 810.

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds