Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Please Read This First:

This is a community-driven self-help category to ask questions about designing or developing your own Kunena template. Please be aware that there are rules that apply to topics posted in this category:

Do not use this category for:
  • asking questions about a template that is not designed by the Kunena project team;
  • asking questions about how to make simple changes to a template designed by the Kunena project team (use K 2.0 Templates instead);
  • advertising your own template designs.

Topics that do not meet the above guidelines may be removed without notice

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Question More "compact" template layout

More
11 years 1 week ago #1 by raz
I like the looks of the standard Kunena template accept for the fact that it is using a lot of unnecessary space. More or less all templates i find on the internet are merely colour variations of the original ones, and no one is more compact. Therefore, I would like to modify Blue Eagle to a more compact layout similar to the version put together in the attached picture.

Unfortunately I have limited knowledge about programming, but to me, as ignorant, it seems that it should not be to hard relocating some text, and cutting some paddings/buffer zones.

So I wonder:
a) is a change like this fairly easy to achieve, by modifications of the standard template.
b) is there any documentation that could help me to find out what values to modify? Asking here for all kind of problems is rather time consuming, and a misuse of friendly people with better programming knowledge.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #2 by raz
Replied by raz on topic More "compact" template layout
Since i haven't got any answers some body might be more prone to answer a more direct question: how do i remove the "now online" button? I tried to do something similar to the solution suggested in this topic www.kunena.org/forum/170-K-17-Templates-...er-in-postview#65405 , but it did not work for the "online button". (How ever an excelent way of getting rid of the dreaded icon below it). Where do i edit what to show in the headline above the message? (Standard is to show the topic name, when the post is made and the number of the post.)
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by raz. Reason: bad spelling

More
11 years 1 week ago #3 by raz
I have by means of digging through code found the worst space consumer. The default css-file has a minimum text area height of 180 px, which will result in inefficient screen usage in case people write short posts. Changing this value (e.g. to 25) gives an tremendous improvement (in my opinion).
Code:
Kunena div.kmsgbody { display: table; table-layout: fixed; width: 100%; padding: 10px 0 0 0; /*10px 0 0 0*/ margin-top: 5px; min-height: 25px; /*the standard value here is 180px!*/ margin-bottom: 25px; /*in case that you find it a little bit to compact, ad this line which will give a margin below text*/ }

I still wonder if it's possible to get rid of the online-offline-notification without editing: template/blue_eagle/html/topic/default_profile_vertical.php

I have managed to get the user name in the top row above the message by tweaking:
template/blue_eagle/html/topic/default_left.php, but since my knowledge in php is close to none it was probably most luck, and it looks pretty bad. I don't know how to control the looks of it. Please help! :-/

More
11 years 1 week ago #4 by TKtemp
Hi,

what you asking for is not simple to do (as kunena template blue_eagle use table for layout) and require changes in template html files which will be lost with kunena update.
Solution is to make your own template and do this change or use some other template.
The following user(s) said Thank You: raz

More
11 years 1 week ago #5 by raz
Thank you for the suggestion. Allthough I'm pretty happy just with changeing the min-height value I will look in to making my own flavour of the blue eagle template.

Time to create page: 0.362 seconds