Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Who should be able to see results of polls?

Poll: Who should be able to see the results of polls? (was ended 2012-11-16 00:00:00)

As now, only after voting
No votes 0%
Topic owner, at any time
No votes 0%
Admin only, any time
No votes 0%
Topic owner plus admin
3 75%
Anyone, any time
1 25%
Total number of voters: 4
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #1 by sozzled
Everyone who uses the Kunena polling feature will have a different opinion about whether it's a good (or necessary) thing to be able to view the results of an online poll. For those polls that can go on indefinitely, without any specific time limit, it's difficult to say when people who are interested in the outcome should be able to view the current voting trend. Should they, for example, be able to see the voting trend before they vote or should they only be able to see the trend after they vote. Does it assist the purpose of a poll if, knowing the current voting trend beforehand, people can view the results before they vote? That's a debate that people can have among themselves. :laugh:

What is important is how those who run these polls may want to see what is the current voting trend on those indefinitely-run polls. The question that we would like to put to the community is who should be allowed to see the results of the poll and when should they be able to see those results.

The current arrangement in K 2.0.2 allows only those who participate in a poll to see the results of the poll. In other words, you have to vote to see the results. This is a change from the arrangement in K 1.7 where site administrators could see the results of a poll without having to vote and this change has been criticised in some quarters of the community.

Here is your opportunity to have your say about a possible change that could be made in a future version of Kunena.

The question proposes whether a configuration setting be fixed in one of the ways suggested in the above poll (and which option would you be most likely to use), or to allow a choice that operates globally on the forum by an additional setting in Forum Configuration » Extra » Poll Settings

A note about the 5th option above: There currently is no facility to display the results of a poll, even after the time allowed for polling has expired. This is probably not a good thing. If people cannot see the results of a poll without voting (as is now the case), but they cannot vote, because the time allowed for voting has expired, then it make the point of having a poll a somewhat pointless exercise.

I would suggest that in the case of time-restricted polls the results should always be displayed at the end of the polling period. Therefore there should be some means to do that but, at the current time, this means does not exist.

We welcome your views and your votes! Cheers :)
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #2 by John
I miss the option: Topic owner + Admin + rest after voting. As an admin I don't want to vote to see what is happening in a poll.

More
11 years 6 months ago #3 by woonydanny

John wrote: I miss the option: Topic owner + Admin + rest after voting. As an admin I don't want to vote to see what is happening in a poll.

this is my preferred option as well

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
11 years 6 months ago #4 by alsthom
Yes! That would be a perfect option.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #5 by sozzled
There was not enough room to write the whole option (as John, peetree21 and alsthom suggested). I think it would be fair to infer, without actually having the option spelt out that way, that the options are in addition to what we now have. In other words, option four means "topic owner + admin (irrespective of whether they have voted) + everyone else who has voted". Does that help people understand what each option means?

I'm trying to keep the options simple. Yes, we could have 8 or 16 or 24 possible options to choose from in this poll, I suppose, but it doesn't mean that the 5 options that I've presented are the only ones and, if you don't like the exact wording of the options then people will abstain from the polling altogether. I am simply asking people to choose the best option (from the five choices) and try to overlook the fact that the polling feature only allows a maximum of 30 characters in which you can define the text of the poll choices. Thanks.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John

More
10 years 3 months ago #6 by larrykaiser
Has anything come of this? ON my new site, we are using the polls a lot and the authors of the threads really need to see the results without having to vote themselves.

Thank you

More
10 years 3 months ago #7 by sozzled

larrykaiser wrote: Has anything come of this?

This website ( www.kunena.org ) uses K 3.0.4, as you can see from this test poll topic , there has been no change. In K 3.0.4 you still need to vote to be able to view the poll results.

More
10 years 3 months ago #8 by larrykaiser
is a change coming?

This is functionality that really should be there

More
10 years 3 months ago #9 by sozzled

larrykaiser wrote: is a change coming?

I don't know the answer to this question, sorry.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #10 by connectfirms
Topic owner plus admin plus user after voting the topic. User have a accessibility only after the voting
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by connectfirms. Reason: Some text missed

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds