Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

The error code HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is a general-purpose message this indicates a general error in a web application. Please note that there is no general solution for this general error. You should first read HTTP 500 Internal Server Error before posting in this category.

Question [Unresolved - unsupported version of Kunena] HTTP500 Error - index.php/forum

More
12 years 5 days ago #1 by peterk
Hi,
I'm new to Joomla and Kunena but I've been through the Kunena documentation to try and solve this problem. Version is 1.7 and it has installed without error using the default settings. I've added the Forum menu to a page but when I click it I get the 505 error. The URL it is trying to find is http://<site name>/<sub-directory>index.php/forum.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple - any help much appreciated !

Peter
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 5 days ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, Peter, and welcome to Kunena.

Please read the posting guide, printed above.

In general terms, the way to go about diagnosing and resolving HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is covered in the Wiki. Without knowing anything more about what specific version of Kunena you are using, what other Joomla extensions you have (that may contribute to the problem) and any extra information conveyed accompanying the error message you may have received, there's not a lot we can do to assist you other that what I have already written here.
More
12 years 5 days ago #3 by peterk
Thanks for pointing me at the wiki.

The isp error log shows
[client 94.] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/vvv.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on line 503, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/sample-sites

The wiki mentions this problem and says check latest Joomla (I'm using 2.5) and latest Kunena - 1.7 - downloaded yesterday. I'm not sure where to look next. Can you point me in the right direction !

Peter
More
12 years 4 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #4 by sozzled
Thank you for providing us with some information; for future reference I again refer you to the posting guide (printed above) and to the link highlighted by the animated "pointing hand" image (viz. the absence of a configuration report accompanying your original request). Fortunately, it was enough that you gave us the URL of your problem site.

Information I was able to obtain from your site shows you tried to install K 1.6.3. That was a mistake: K 1.6.3 is not supported; K 1.6.x does not work on J! 2.5. The only supported version of Kunena at present is K 1.7.2.

You need to undo your mistake. Depending on your knowledge and experience of Joomla, it might be easier to start all over again. It takes less than 1 hour to install Joomla from scratch and then install Kunena after that. The installation instructions for installing Kunena are contained in K 1.6 and K 1.7 Installation Guide .

Other useful documentation: K 1.6 & K 1.7 Technical Requirements and the release notes .
Last edit: 12 years 4 days ago by sozzled.
More
12 years 4 days ago #5 by peterk
Im using the latest Kunena 1.7.2 with Joomla 2.5 .

It's a vanilla out of the book test site - Kunena is the only Extension installed. No templates - no nothing !

I've done a few things so I hope this might help someone make some further suggestions.

The wiki says that MooTools and MooTools upgrade should appear in the list of installed extensions - it doesn't so I downloaded them and installed them. MooTools + Mootools upgrade stops any pages of the site being displayed - the home page gives a 500 error. The upgrade on its own causes no problem but still leads to the 500 error on clicking the forum.

I asked the company hosting this site for there comments - this is what they said
Fri Apr 13 06:43:12 2012] [error] [client 81.86.71.70] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on line 503, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/park-blog
[Fri Apr 13 06:43:21 2012] [error] [client 80.40.134.103] File does not exist: /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/robots.txt, referer: marionandpeter.com/robots.txt
[Fri Apr 13 10:34:35 2012] [error] [client 207.46.13.212] File does not exist: /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/robots.txt
[Fri Apr 13 11:27:18 2012] [error] [client 94.196.21.10] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on line 503, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/sample-sites
[Fri Apr 13 11:33:32 2012] [error] [client 94.196.19.28] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on line 503, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/sample-sites
[Fri Apr 13 11:33:37 2012] [error] [client 94.196.19.28] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on line 503
[Fri Apr 13 11:36:34 2012] [error] [client 94.196.19.28] PHP Fatal error: Cannot make static method JProfiler::getInstance() non static in class KProfiler in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/lib/kune na.profiler.1.5.php on line 114, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/sample-sites
[Fri Apr 13 11:45:04 2012] [error] [client 94.196.19.28] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on line 503, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/sample-sites
[Fri Apr 13 12:22:08 2012] [error] [client 94.196.213.251] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getAllowedCategories() on a non-object in /home/sites/marionandpeter.com/public_html/CMS1/components/com_kunena/class.kunena.php on li ne 503, referer: marionandpeter.com/CMS1/index.php/sample-sites

It looks like there is some issues with this not being able to call a member function. You can install what ever modules you wish should we meet the requirements and they do not breach our terms and conditions. I would recommend you try installing these and if this fails contact the plugin issues and provide them with the logs above.

I currently know very little about Joomla or Kunena - but I'm working to rectify this ! When I realised that Joomla 2.5 was released very recently my instincts lent towards it being a problem of Joomla 2.5 with Kunena 1.72. I have an option to use either Joomla 1.7 or 1.5 - is it worth trying Joomla 1.5 ( well established I gather ) with Kunena 1.72 ?

I hope this additional information will help someone suggest what to do. From all I read on the Web Kunena is a highly regarded product and - as I said earlier - I'm not trying to do anything flash - just get Kunena working with the test sites installed with Joomla.

Peter
More
12 years 4 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #6 by sozzled

peterk wrote: The wiki says that MooTools and MooTools upgrade should appear in the list of installed extensions - it doesn't so I downloaded them and installed them. MooTools + Mootools upgrade stops any pages of the site being displayed - the home page gives a 500 error. The upgrade on its own causes no problem but still leads to the 500 error on clicking the forum.

This advice is relevant only for J! 1.5 sites. It has no implications for J! 2.5 which, by default, includes all the necessary Javascript libraries that you need.

I have asked you twice to read the posting guide and to include your configuration report. Assuming you have properly installed the Kunena component, your configuration report will show you (as much as it will show us) exactly what you have installed and what versions of software your Joomla site knows about. Please read What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)?

Even so, the link you gave us is not consistent with your understanding of what you think you installed. By digging around your site I find that you tried (as some point) to install K 1.6.3. You need to clean this up. Obviously you could, if you want to spend the time, try to repair the damage or, you could also spend an hour trying another really simple test. I invite you to read When all else fails, try this . It all depends on how much time you want to spend pursuing the line of investigation or to accept that, maybe, you "blew" it somewhere along the line and it might be easier to start over. It's your choice. I could, if you want, spend time with you, one on one, helping you. That's up to you. If repair work is really something that, at all costs, you want to succeed in doing then please send me a PM and we'll see what we can organise for you.

K 1.7.2 works perfectly well on J! 2.5 (are you using J! 2.5.4?). It also works just as well on J! 1.5, too (J! 1.5.26 is best if you want to go down that path) but J! 1.5 has reached end-of-life and we don't recommend building new sites with outdated and soon-to-be unsupported software.

My advice is to test Kunena on a truly "vanilla" site and to read K 1.6 and K 1.7 Installation Guide which shows you how to do that. :)
Last edit: 12 years 4 days ago by sozzled.
More
12 years 4 days ago #7 by peterk
Hi

Thanks for coming back - sorry if you feel I haven't done exactly as you asked.

I'll re-read what you say tomorrow - its past midnight here and its been a busy day.
But just to let you know Kunena works with Joomla 1.7 - straight away - no issues whatsoever. So what I've done differently I haven't a clue.

Thanks again for your help - I've got what I wanted a Joomla site with a forum to test an application. But I will go back to the 2.5 issue - and if I solve it I'll let you know.

Kind regards

Peter

PS A quick look confirms what I've heard - it really is a good product !
More
12 years 4 days ago #8 by sozzled
Your configuration report, please.
More
12 years 2 days ago #9 by peterk
Here is the configuration report you requested for the Joomla 2.5 site where I was having the problems:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 60 seconds | Max execution memory: 24M | Max file upload: 10M

Joomla default template details : | author: | version: | creationdate:

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.3 | creationdate: 2011-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.3 | Build: 4344 | Version name: Parlare | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

But I created a vanilla 2.5 site and installed Kunena and.... the forum works perfectly. So what I did wrong before I'm not sure - but I think it might have been Joomla inexperience - I was probably running to install a Forum before I really had grasped the basics of Joomla. Sorry !

Anyway I've learnt a lot - about Joomla - about the Kunena forum and about how to provide the correct information to elicit help.

Thanks for your patience and support on this one. I can only say again what a fantastic product combination Joomla and Kunena make !

Peter
More
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #10 by sozzled
Thank you for finally posting your configuration report.

K 1.6.3 is not supported; you were having problems arising from an out-of-date, unsupported version of Kunena that does not work with J! 2.5. Please note that the posting guide clearly stated that the Support category (where you originally posted your question) is for problems relating to K 1.7.

I have moved this topic to an archive and the matter is now considered to be closed.
Last edit: 12 years 2 days ago by sozzled.
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds