Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Merged List of Kunena Features

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #21 by fxstein
I am not sure why we are going in circles here. The community here is about Kunena 1.6, you will not allow any of the Kunena 1.6 features in the comparison until we are RC. We get it. No need to remind us in multiple messages about that.
It happens that Kunena 1.6 will be stable very soon - so all of that conversation in here is going to be a mood point. If you want to look the other way, your choice.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by fxstein.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #22 by Lintzy
This was never my intention. I am sorry if you felt offended by my wordings, that also was not my purpose :(

Finally two hints:

1.) My Profile-Settings are okay: But I get no notifying e-mails about new posts in subscribed threads and also not about new PMs. Also don't find such e-mails in Spamfilter.

2.) Some pages on Kunena.com I must click twice, at first click only a white page appears.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Lintzy.

More
13 years 9 months ago #23 by severdia
If you have issues with the soon-to-be-released version of Kunena 1.6 now running on this forum, please post your feedback here:

www.kunena.com/forum/156-kunena-16-test-reports

This isn't the right section for that.

Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media. | www.usingjoomlabook.com

More
13 years 9 months ago #24 by Lintzy

severdia wrote: If you have issues with the soon-to-be-released version of Kunena 1.6 now running on this forum, please post your feedback here:

www.kunena.com/forum/156-kunena-16-test-reports

This isn't the right section for that.

This is no issue with Kunena 1.6. And I guess nor with Kunena 1.5. The notification via E-Mail does not work for PMs and for subscribed threads since a few weeks. This may be a problem with the website (joomla e-mail-settings). At least the notification about PMs did not work for rich (moderator here) also, so that I would except problems with my own mail provider.

More
13 years 9 months ago #25 by fxstein
Time for a new thread. This has gotten way off topic....

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 4 months ago #26 by furnival
Replied by furnival on topic List of Kunena Features
Without wishing to sound unappreciative for the huge amounts of unpaid work which must have gone into this project, I have an observation/question...Why doesn't this website have a list of Kunena's features on the front page? At the moment it's organised like the vast majority of open source software, viz. a dog's dinner. Someone needs to make an executive decision and stick a constantly-updated list of key features on the website front page or potential users like me will wonder how on earth I ever get to know about this esoteric thing called Kunena. IMHO. Thanks.

More
13 years 4 months ago #27 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic List of Kunena Features
This is an interesting question. I thought about writing a kind of feature list for Kunena a few months ago but I stopped after 13 pages. The important features are hilighted on the home page of this website. The most important feature that attracts users to Kunena is because it was designed to work natively with Joomla.

I spend, on average, about 6 hours every day trying to give fast results to users who have problems, questions or who just feel a bit "lost". The developers have real lives, real jobs. When they are not working, eating, sleeping, spending time with their families, they use the remainder of their time to extend, enhance and make Kunena better. Kunena is a community-driven project. Kunena is continually evolving and its features are continually changing.

In my humble opinion I could not fairly describe Kunena as "esoteric" when it is being used in over half-a-million websites around the world.

So let me turn this question around. As a new member of the Kunena community, what key features do you think should be advertised on the site's front page?

More
13 years 4 months ago #28 by furnival
Replied by furnival on topic List of Kunena Features
Thanks for your well-considered reply. I am sorry for the irritation my post must have caused you and I take your point about the level of sacrifice necessary from talented people like yourself in a project like this.

That being said I do stick by the essence of my point. You say the important features are highlighted on the home page, but those 3 brief paragraphs look almost like Google ads to me! If you compare the home page of a commercial forum package like VBulletin they do a much better job of conveying the key features and how the end user might benefit from adopting that piece of software. Unfortunately, given the difficulty of knowing too much without trying something out (which takes a lot of time) a lot of the success of any piece of software comes down to flash marketing. VBulletin for example is a complete mess under the bonnet, but you wouldn't guess that from the slick front page of their website.

Perhaps you're right and community driven software will always be necessarily geared more towards the members of the community who have put so much into it, rather than transient, fickle consumers (for want of a better word) like me, who are initially just on the lookout for the best forum package. But I would argue that setting out the key reasons for anyone to choose Kunena (perhaps even suggesting, implicitly, ways in which it was better than other forum packages) would result in a large increase in the user base, some of whom might become contributors rather than people like me who always seem to expect something for nothing! On that note, and I'm probably again showing just how much I don't get the open source thing, but if you had a contribute button placed prominently somewhere I'd be glad to give something at least financially.

From a narrow personal perspective I'd be very excited to have a forum integrated with Joomla, but would need a way to convert from my existing VBulletin forums, and would need to assess how many of the VBulletin plugins I use so much (from the developer community at vbulletin.org) I would have to go without, and weigh up whether it would all be worth it. From what I can see it's looking as though it might be soon.

Anyway congratulations on a fine product, albeit less-than-perfectly marketed!

More
12 years 4 months ago #29 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic List of Kunena Features
There's a reason that I've resurrected this antique discussion. In looking around the internet recently I came across a couple of comments written by outsiders that made a few interesting points. The most important point made by one commentator was this:

The problem I'm having in my decision-making is that the Kunena web site seems to have no comprehensive "Features List" page. Unlike other systems like phpBB or vBulletin, Kunena doesn't seem to have any "Feature List" page on the website so I can quickly see what features it has. The general evaluation that I keep hearing is that it isn't as fully-featured or fast as those other two systems, but that it integrates much easier with Joomla. That sounds great to me, but I'd like to see a feature list for myself though so I could see if there were any mission-critical features that I would miss by opting for Kunena. Have I overlooked such a page somewhere?

Even though the above comment was made a little over a year ago, it's a good point and something that needs to be addressed.

Another reason for creating a "List of features" page is to dispel some prejudices that still exist today that Kunena is merely Fireboard (with a little bit of added window-dressing) changed so that it works on J! 1.5. Those incorrect perceptions about Kunena are not based on any first-hand understanding and the record should be set straight.

I invite everyone who would like to see how Kunena has progressed in the three years since the project commenced to look at Kunena Features
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiminimonka

More
12 years 2 months ago #30 by abdulmca09
Replied by abdulmca09 on topic List of Kunena Features
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds