Kunena 5.1.15 Released (27 Oct 2019)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.15 [K 5.1.15] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.

× Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question can we remove the powered by logo/sign at the bottom ?

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #1 by lafanter
B)

A website dedicated to Lafanters Lafanters.com ;)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by lafanter.
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 5 months ago #2 by xillibit

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
More
9 years 5 months ago #3 by Cerberus
quote from the the wise one SOZZLED

First of all, I want to assure all users that we will not ban anyone from using this website, nor will we refuse to discuss issues that people may have with their implementation of Kunena, if they choose to remove the "powered by" link.

The discussion about the the GNU GPL (that also refers to the "powered by" link) is, perhaps, a little difficult to understand so I'll try to make it a bit clearer.

Kunena is an open source project. This means that users are able to modify the source code any way they like. The only legal repercussions are when users onsell this work, or profit by this work, without attributing the source of that work. While it's possible to remove the "powered by" information it hardly seems fair that we should promote the means to do it, to show you how to do it or to encourage users to do it. We strongly discourage this practice and we have removed references from this site that explain how to remove the "powered by Kunena" feature. If users discover how to remove the feature, that's their business and we can live with that as long as there is no conflict of interest.

There are few hard-and-fast rules governing the removal of the "powered by" link. Unless there is clearly an intention to deprive the developers of Kunena from their rightful recognition for their work, it's more a case of we should be able to tolerate the practice.

The "powered by" link serves a couple of purposes. It helps us help you (and that's the main reason). It's also a nice gesture to say thanks for the dedication of the development team for building this forum. We don't get any money from this (well, not yet, anyway).

Although it's a matter of personal choice, as I have said, I don't have any qulams about leaving the "powered by" link intact on all of my websites and my reasons have nothing to do with the fact that my name is mentioned in the credits! I see the "powered by" link is just a fair exchange in return for obtaining this product for free and it's a public show of my appreciation. I think this is the majority view of Kunena users, too. We appreciate the fact that Kunena is used in over 150,000 websites around the world and it's a comforting feeling knowing that this work has found such widespread appeal.

Coming back to the issue of support: Over the past several days, we've had many long discussions about our approach to Kunena support. I think you will see a few changes for the better in the coming days.

I know most people appreciate Kunena and the work of this forum. If they didn't they wouldn't be posting the large number of questions everyday. We don't always receive thanks for our voluntary efforts, either. So, as a way of showing your appreciation for what we try to do for you it would be a nice gesture if, in return, you kept the "powered by" link on your site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quinnesec
More
9 years 5 months ago #4 by lafanter
Understood :)

I would like to use this opportunity to thanks all members of the development team who spent their time and energies to bring us such an efficient and smart piece of software for free. I like to thank the support team as well, they have always responded well to threads. I hope one day I know enough of PHP/MySql to contribute to this project.

for now, I know enough to remove the credits lol B)

PS. Is there some way to donate for this great project.

A website dedicated to Lafanters Lafanters.com ;)
More
9 years 5 months ago #5 by Cerberus

lafanter wrote: PS. Is there some way to donate for this great project.

yer dont remove the credits ;)
More
8 years 8 months ago #6 by vickyjain05
Hi Cerberus,

Let me know if this is fine....

We are developing a site which has multiple components like kunena, etc. Now each component has a credit link....can we remove the links from individual component and give credits on another page called the credits page????

I hope this does not breach the GPL....

thanks
More
8 years 8 months ago #7 by sozzled
Cerberus doesn't live here any more. This topic has been addressed here: Please help me understand the GPL for Kunena .
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds