Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Bug Kunena Updates/Patch Package like Joomla

• C0n
  • C0n's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Only the strongest will survive
More
12 years 1 month ago - 11 years 10 months ago #1 by C0n
So as many of you know when you update joomla you basicly download a archive file to your site root and extract it and it updates / overwrites only files that have been updated for joomla.

I was woundering if kunena can do this to since it realy annoys me downloading uploading and instaling packedges everytime escpecialy because of the fact it overwrites every single file in the kunena instal what is not necessary.

Why cant we just be given the files that have changed since the previous version of kunena and overwrite them.

Just like on the Joomla Downloads page they offer a instilation packedge (for new users).
And a update packedge (for exsisting users) to only overwrite those files that have been edited.
www.joomla.org/download.html
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by C0n.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 7 months ago #2 by C0n
I still wish kunena would just provide the modified files instead of a entire instillation package :( makes developers dread upgrading for loosing customized / hacked content.

More
11 years 7 months ago #3 by Voice4Vision
I agree with C0n,
I think MANY people here edit their Kunena files, both base and template just to add some features we deem our sites need. With the ability of upgrading/updating only the files in which have been changed, that is far less editing us Webmasters have to do, just to put back what we need.

I think we all understand that you do not support editing any of the files...base or template...however, if everyone stuck by the rules, then individuality simply goes out the window. We all strive to build a site completely different from another...but at the same time, we all prefer it to be simple.

As a note C0n, allow me to suggest looking into the Jhacks Extension , as I believe this might solve alot of heartache for you...and MAYBE even makes things alot more simpler when considering you might have edited 5 files, but Kunena only changes 3...you have the simplicity of quickly determining which files have not/have been changed.

This extension may eliminate the need of Kunena doing as asked here. However I have yet to fully test this on my own site. If you do...please respond here for others to see and know.

Just my 2 cents,
Voice4Vision

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #4 by C0n
I would rather download a backup of my site and use a program to compare my version with the newly updated kunena version to see what is so different. Even though it looks like a good extension a program would probably do it faster and it is a waste of queries to be running on a server.

But i am glad that I'm not alone in the fact that others who use joomla enjoy this feature would be nice for kunena developers to consider it.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by C0n.

• C0n
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #5 by C0n
Even though it does not look like kunena will follow joomla by just adding a updates package of the edited files i suppose i can get them of the git hub.

github.com/Kunena/Kunena-1.6

It is allot more time looking through the edited files to see what changed have been made.

More
11 years 5 months ago #6 by sozzled
K 1.6 is no longer support and the GitHub repository for K 1.6 is no longer maintained.

This subject is now closed.

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds