Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Allowed avatar file extensions not working

More
13 years 1 month ago #1 by naike
Hey, been building my website and I'm testing it for errors atm.
One error I found and I can't fix is that when my friend tried to upload a .bmp image, it didn't work.
First of all, I added the bmp to the allowed images list, also added the corresponding MIME type image/bmp to the MIME list.
My friend tried to upload the file, and it said it was the wrong file extension and wasn't allowed.
It also displayed the allowed extensions (txt,rtf,pdf,zip,tar.gz,tgz,tar.bz2) from the normal files and not images.
Even after adding bmp to the allowed files list, he cannot upload bmp files, and the size shouldn't be a problem, it's set to 1mb and the image is way under.

Any ideas?
PS: I'm using the newest kuena with joomla 1.5, K2 and jcomments.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #2 by GoremanX
The MIME type for BMP files is image/x-ms-bmp, not image/bmp

Also, make sure your list of allowed file extensions is comma-separated. So gif,jpg,png,bmp and not gif,jpg,png.bmp

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by GoremanX.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #3 by naike
Yeah, I suspected the MIME (of course microsoft has to have their own name in everything they stick their nose into) was the problem since it didn't recognize the file as an image, and yes I can read, I didn't separate them with dots.
Anyway, I'll let my friend test it again, might as well disable the MIME thing all together, or are there any security risks by doing this?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by naike.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #4 by GoremanX
very big security risks, yes. Changing the mime type to image/x-ms-bmp worked fine for me. Using image/bmp failed.

It;s worth nothing that it takes all of a minute to change a bmp to a jpg, and it makes it smaller too. The server just converts it to a jpg anyways after it's uploaded.

More
13 years 1 month ago #5 by naike
Yes I'm aware of that, however I'm just testing.
Also, using image/x-ms-bmp didn't work, still not able to upload bmp images.

More
13 years 1 month ago #6 by naike

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #7 by GoremanX
dunno what to tell you, it works fine for me, but I only tested it with forum attachments. I haven't tried it with avatar uploads. We use CB avatars on our site. Have you tried it with forum attachments to see if it works there?

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled

naike wrote: ... still not able to upload bmp images.

I don't know too many people who use .BMP files in this way. Until we can find an answer to your question, I recommend that you do not try to upload .BMP files for avatar images.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #9 by naike
I agree, however, it won't allow users to upload bmp's even if it's recognized as a normal file.
This makes me think that I can't allow custom extensions to be uploaded.

More
13 years 1 month ago #10 by sozzled
I am merely saying that it's uncommon to see people using .BMP files. That's all I'm saying. It's uncommon. The file type may or may not be recognised or supported by your website. I don't know. This may need to be something that you have to discuss at the Joomla support forum (unless someone else has a better suggestion).

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds