Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Before posting new topics in this category K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first.

Question Issue with User Registration/Login

More
13 years 8 months ago #1 by YoBumRushTheShow
I'm a very new user to Kunena, and am having issues on the frontend related to User registration. I'm running Kunena 1.5.12 with default settings in place.

My issue is this:

1. Users who try to register get the standard form (name, email, etc.).

2. But...when users fill out this form, nothing happens on the front end. There is no indication that filling in the form worked.

3. There is a slight delay, then eventually the new user appears in the "User Manager" in Joomla...but not in Kunena's User Profile Manager.

4. Even assuming that a new user believed his registration worked, trying to log in as that new user does nothing, and again there is no error message.

5. As a result, there is no way to register as a new user and by extension no way to make posts. And there is no user message directing new users.

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic. Maybe I'm missing something astonishingly basic, but I've read the Kunena documentation, googled this problem and searched the forums and don't see an answer to this topic, so I thought I'd put it out there as it's frustrating me to no end. If I've misposted, I'll repost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, YBRTS, and welcome to Kunena

Your points 1-3 (no problem there. These, of course, have nothing to do with Kunena - they're all part of standard Joomla. At the end of step 3, is the user enabled? Or have you required that they must respond to an email to activate their account (which is the default behaviour)?

Users who have not activated their accounts will not automatically be added to the Kunena user account system. It's only after users have activated their accounts they they'll be given a Kunena user profile. However, it really doesn't matter if they do or do not have a user account before their account is activated; unactivated accounts cannot login to your website until they've been activated.

So now we come to your point 4: I am puzzled by the comment that when you try to login as a new user, nothing seems to happen and the user is not informed of what's going on. This is, indeed, very strange. If you are not able to login then there should be a message that is displayed, something like "your account/password was incorrect" ... something like that!

So, before we get to your point 5, let's just check that everything is working up to that stage. It might be useful to us if we could see your website and use an account that gives us access to your Kunena forum. If you would prefer not to give these details in public, use the special "confidential" tags, like this:
Code:
[confidential]My site is: http://mysite.com Test account: test-account Password: password[confidential]

More
13 years 8 months ago #3 by YoBumRushTheShow
Sozzled, thanks for the feedback. I suspect the problem is not with Kunena, but with Joomla. After much experimentation, the issue is really at the registration phase.

Essentially, after filling out the forms and clicking submit, the forms reset and...nothing happens. No email is sent, and no message is given and no user is created. The only difference is that the forms clear.

Until I can figure out why new users can't register on my site, Kunena won't work. My guess is that the problem is related to something here: abc7.eu/web-cases-blog/4-godaddy-and-joomla-smtp-problems.html or forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=286509

...but as after investigation I don't believe this is a Kunena problem, I'll have to take a look on Joomla's forums and get back to this thread either a) with the answer for anyone having similar difficulty, or b) with a follow-up question (and site access to my Kunena set up).

Thank you for your very thorough reply.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
Your conclusions also confirm my suspicions. First of all you need to get Joomla working. Email is almost a necessity, these days, in building CMS-driven websites. Further, if you search for GoDaddy within this forum, you will see that most users seem to have a fairly low opinion of their services. I'm not saying that this is the cause, nor whether or not GoDaddy is "guilty by association" but it's something you may need to consider and eliminate as a factor.

My advice to you is to work through and eliminate the user registration issues - getting e-mail to operate properly is a a key part of that process - and then we can focus on Kunena. I am confident that you won't have too many problems with Kunena (or anything else that's on your site) if you overcome this first barrier.

For those who are new to Joomla, and who want to get a head-start building websites, I strongly recommend that you buy or borrow one of the following books:
  • Using Joomla by Ron Severdia and Kenneth Crowder, published by O'Reilly Media Inc. Ron Severdia is also a member of the Kunena development team.
  • Beginning Joomla! From Novice to Professional by Dan Rahmel, published by Apress. Although this book is a little dated, the general principles are similar.
I own these books, they're excellent value and I know they will answer all your questions for a long time to come! ;)

More
13 years 8 months ago #5 by YoBumRushTheShow
Thanks, Sozzled. I'm looking into it now and will definitely post when I figure it out. In the meantime, this link may be of help to other people who wander into this thread:

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=538628

More
13 years 1 week ago #6 by netoys
Hi!! y have the same problem with my forum but the real problem is.

i have the same forum in two diferent severs and one is working fine and the other is not working properly. I thinks that is a problem with the server (this site is for the goverment) so i have to do tree simple steps, but i tried to solve this problem.

1.- I check every day for a new user in joomla
2.- manually i check this user to ok
then open kunena and add the profile to kunena.

on the other site is working fine.

please help me to see what is wrong.

thanks in advance from mexico (sorry for my english)

More
13 years 1 week ago #7 by sozzled
Please read the advice posted earlier in this topic.

Please read K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first. . Can you provide more details about what version of Kunena you are using?

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: netoys

More
13 years 1 week ago #8 by netoys
kunena 1.6.1
spanish

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds