Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Preview issue caused by index.html in root

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #1 by mvezz
Hi guys!

Have an issue with the preview button not working correctly on our forums. Currently we have an index.html page in the root of the server that handles an intro page prior to arriving at a welcome page for the site.

Unfortunately when clicking preview in the forum post, this index.html page is displayed rather than the actual post preview. It can be fixed by removing the index.html page and retesting.

Only thing is, I don't want to remove the index.html file!! I have searched hi & lo for an answer, but haven't found anything. Well I won't say that, there is a post, but the answer was to remove the index.html and that solved it for the user. I need to keep it! =)

Thanks for the help!

Joomla 1.5.20
Kunena 1.5.13
default_ex Template
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by mvezz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, mvezz, and welcome to Kunena.

Is this a new installation of Kunena 1.5.13? Have you considered the benefits of using K 1.6.1 instead? I'm not familiar with all the reasons why people have problems with the preview function in K 1.5 - I can only tell you that K 1.6 approaches message preview in a different way - but you may find some help for K 1.5 preview issues by searching this website but your issues sound very different to anything I've read about before. I haven't heard about "removing" the index.html file fixing anything - in fact, it's not a good idea to "remove" anything - and so we're going to need a lot more information about your problem if we're likely to fix it.

It's possible that your situation involves some conflict with another Joomla extension. For example, are you using a third-party SEF product, like sh404SEF, for example?

More
13 years 4 months ago #3 by mvezz
Hi sozzled! Thanks for the quick reply!

I have some questions about upgrading to 1.6.1. I have made several template css changes and image color changes to default_ex, can these be applied to 1.6.1 in the same manor as you would after upgrading 1.5? What I mean to say is can I just copy the template files into the template folder and have the same look to the forums?

No this is not a fresh install of Kunena, 1.5.11 was a fresh install and yesterday (in hopes of resolving the preview issue) I upgraded to 1.5.13.

What I meant by removing the index.html file is this: I have created a custom intro page with a flash movie that resides in a simple index.html on the root of the web server. This is the default page you see when landing at www.nutopia.cc

If I temporarily remove the index.html file, the post preview works perfectly. When the index.html file is present in the root of the web server, the index 'intro' page is displayed in the preview box.

Regarding any third-party SEF, I have none installed, just using the basic Joomla SEF.

Thanks!

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #4 by sozzled

mvezz wrote: I have some questions about upgrading to 1.6.1. I have made several template css changes and image color changes to default_ex, can these be applied to 1.6.1 in the same manor as you would after upgrading 1.5? What I mean to say is can I just copy the template files into the template folder and have the same look to the forums?

Although this question is off-topic to what you originally asked, I'm happy to answer it here. No, you cannot use K 1.5 templates with K 1.6 and, in fact, I can't see any particularly good reason why you would want to because K 1.6 templates look a whole lot better anyway! ;) However, the simple truth is this: the number one problem with K 1.5 was the template system. The number one cause of problems with K 1.5 was the template system. The number one reason that people hesitated or found themselves unable to upgrade was the template system. These issues have virtually disappeared with K 1.6 because of the new template system.

So, while you may have a forum that (perhaps) looks good, you will always know in your mind that you've made compromises. If you remain with K 1.5 then you'll retain the problems, the pitfalls and the risks that may never be fixed for the K 1.5 version.

No, you cannot just copy a K 1.5 template and use it with K 1.6 .

Getting back to your problem, I cannot see your Kunena forum page in order to better understand the design issues that you are having. You have limited the access to registered users. All I can do for you at this time is to refer you to the usual help tips that we have given to users of K 1.5 in the hope that some of it helps you.

Please read: If there is some other way that you think we may be able to help you, you might like to provide us with a test account that we can use to access your forum. You can do that with the confidential tags (so that only the moderators of this forum will see it), like this:
Code:
[confidential]Username: Password:[/confidential]
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5 by mvezz
Thanks, not looking to put in more work by upgrading to 1.6 as it was a client project that is now in support only phase. But it is good to know for future projects!

Account info:
This message contains confidential information

More
13 years 3 months ago #6 by sozzled
I'm sorry but the account details that you gave did not work. We're still unable to see the problem and we're therefore unable to provide you with anything more than very broad, general assistance.

More
13 years 3 months ago #7 by mvezz
I apologize, I created that account while on the road. Try it again, I forgot to confirm it the first time!!

Thanks!

More
13 years 3 months ago #8 by sozzled
Thank you. I eventually found the problem that you were talking about - it took me about 15 minutes to find because I found it quite difficult to navigate around your website.

I cannot help you with this problem. You have changed a few things with your Kunena installation. You have made a few changes to the basic K 1.5.13 default_ex template, for example. I can only suggest that you go back to the way that Kunena was when you first installed it, with all the files intact and unmodified by you, and see if the problems that you're having still occurs.

Another alternative is to accept that you will not be able to fix this problem with your installation of K 1.5.13 and to advise your users to not use the message preview when they are posting messages to your forum. As far as I can tell, there are no other obvious problems with your website.

More
13 years 3 months ago #9 by mvezz

sozzled wrote: I eventually found the problem that you were talking about - it took me about 15 minutes to find because I found it quite difficult to navigate around your website.

Uh...thanks.

sozzled wrote: I cannot help you with this problem. You have changed a few things with your Kunena installation. You have made a few changes to the basic K 1.5.13 default_ex template, for example. I can only suggest that you go back to the way that Kunena was when you first installed it, with all the files intact and unmodified by you, and see if the problems that you're having still occurs.

Only things that have been changed are css code and image colors. (Taking default image and modifying its color, re-saving as same exact image name...) No way this would affect the code...but thanks anyways.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10 by sozzled
OK. I'm working from the premise the Kunena works, straight out of the box, without making any changes and therefore if I see something a little different to the unmodified version of Kunena I have to ask "What changes have you made and would putting everything back the way things were solve the problems?"

I've never seen this issue before. I've also never seen the effects of changing Joomla index.html files either. This is quite new territory for me and, I suspect, it's new territory for most people, too.

One thing that I can certainly say is that the message preview function in K 1.6 is quite different to the message preview function in K 1.5 and you might like to check whether you have the same issues in K 1.6 as you now have in K 1.5. You might like to create a test site for such a purpose.

If you still have these issues in K 1.6 there may be something that can be done about these things. For the time being, however, as far as K 1.5 is concerned, I can't think of much more to be of help to you.

Time to create page: 0.418 seconds