Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question [Merged topic] The great, frequently-asked, "I cannot create a new thread in my forum" question

More
13 years 10 months ago #71 by Zentra
Hi,

Yes, thanks, that was also my finding. I just wanted to get it confirmed or denied so that I could be sure on how to handle it.

/Z

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #72 by sozzled
OK, Zentra, let's get this problem of yours solved: create the menu item for Kunena. Then, after you've created the menu item, see if links from your mod_custom module take you to your Kunena forum instead of taking you to your site registration page. As I tried to imply in K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first , we take issues of support very seriously - they're our highest priority concern - because we want to make sure that any genuine defect that's found in Kunena is not passed on to the general user community.

Many "problems", in fact, can be avoided if people familiarise themselves with some important Kunena concepts (and a few Joomla ones, too :laugh:).

I understand that a lot of material in the documentation Wiki is conceptual (or, as you chose to describe it, "high level") but it's vital to grasp the concepts as best you can in order to prepare yourself for the inevitable problems that come along. If you have a better suggestion for how the documentation Wiki articles should be written to assist others - in particular, new users - we would be most grateful for your ideas and contributions.

Thank you. :)

More
13 years 10 months ago #73 by Zentra
Hi,

To start with the issue and its solution:

If there is a menu item, all other links works.
If there is no menu item, no other links works. Redirects to registration page.

It's as simple as that.

Since this is the only component acting like this, I wanted to find out if there is something wrong or if it is just the way it is.

The conversation became a bit unnecessary:

I wrote: "It seems as Kunena is totally dependent on having a mainmenu item."
You wrote: "Not true that Kunena is totally dependent on having a "mainmenu item".
Matias wrote: "...you WILL need to have menu item with the same alias..."

My advice to you would be this:
1. Find out the level of knowledge that people who asks questions have. By doing so, you can avoid telling them basic things like "read the documentation" or "what is the link to my forum". Otherwise it will get close to cheeky.

2. If a moderator or someone else from your side don't understand or don't know the answer, say that instead of wandering about. As much as I appreciate fast support service, I rather wait for someone who can help me with the answer or least some hint on what to investigate.

Is this the documentation that you are referring to and what my views are? docs.kunena.com/index.php/Kunena_1.5.11_Read_Me
docs.kunena.com/index.php/Sections%2C_Ca...egories_%28Part_1%29

Zentra

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #74 by sozzled
I'm perfectly happy to accept criticism when it's warranted and, for my part, I may not have made myself totally clear. However, we need to remember that this whole incident has nothing to do with Kunena.

I accept that Kunena has a number of dependencies: the main dependency that Kunena relies upon is Joomla (J! 1.5.15 actually). Like every other Joomla component - Kunena is a component - you need to create a menu item if you want a "shorthand" way for your users to access the component. You can access the component by referring to to it's "Joomla name" (e.g. /component/kunena) as Matias wrote and, in that sense, your component is not dependent on having a menu item for it for your users to access it. Whether that menu item is published (i.e. visible) on your main menu is immaterial (and that's what I should have written instead). So, yes, Kunena is dependent on creating a menu item for it if you want to resolve URLs like <site>/forum. The same holds true for every other Joomla component that you want you users to access from your website "frontend".

But this isn't how this discussion topic began. The discussion topic began on the premise that, prior to deleting a couple of Kunena categories, your installation had no problems. After deleting the categories everything fell apart. What you omitted to explain was that you had not followed the technical requirements (one of the first points mentioned in the documentation that I referred you to) and we were left to surmise what was the cause.

The support category is the most important category for us. As forum moderators, our job is not to solve problems posted here; our job is to ascertain the facts, assess the severity of the situation and put users in touch with the resources appropriate to their situation. I believe that I have acted in accordance with those principles.

We don't know our users' proficiency with Kunena, Joomla or with website management and, for many of our users, English is not their native language. I think it would be highly unfair of us to ask (before we offered a suggestion, hint or solution) "so how much to do know in order for me to prepare an appropriate response?" I think it's fair to assume that, unless our users clearly state otherwise, they have a basic understanding of how Joomla works and they have read the "read me" documentation before they start asking questions. Thank you for your suggestions on how I might behave in future but, on this matter, I can't accept that conclusion.

Occasionally we get things wrong - we're human - but you should also remember that we volunteer our time and energy to help as best we can. I'm sorry we did not solve the problem sooner and I am sorry for the part I played in it. I think there was a communication problem all around.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 10 months ago #75 by Zentra

More
13 years 10 months ago #76 by Bonifes
Hi, I've recently installed Kunena 1.5.11 in kccuonline.org. Though I can create forum categories, there are no links (or I have no idea how)to create new forum posts/threads/forums under the categories. :blush: Help appreciated.

More
13 years 10 months ago #77 by xillibit
Hello,

You need to create sub-categories : docs.kunena.com/index.php/Sections%2C_Ca...egories_%28Part_1%29

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 10 months ago #78 by sozzled
Heres a tip (and a trap) for all Kunena beginners:

You must have two forum "categories" defined! You need a parent "category" (the technical term is section - see Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1) ) and you need a child category, something like this:

If you don't have both of these you won't see the button (and you won't be able to post anything)! So, if you're tempted to remove the sample "categories" that came with Kunena, just remember that you need to setup your forum with a section and a category or you'll have lots of problems.
Attachments:

More
13 years 3 months ago #79 by Packers4td
How can i get the samples back if they got erased?

More
13 years 3 months ago #80 by sozzled

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds