Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question [Merged topic] The great, frequently-asked, "I cannot create a new thread in my forum" question

More
14 years 11 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #1 by pagecafe
I cannot figure out how to get the Post to Forum link to work or the New Thread icon to show up in my forum.

I am logged in as a user.

Using Joomla 1.5 and the latest version of Kunena.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Merged from several discussion; changed subject to improve search relevance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #2 by core2
Replied by core2 on topic Re:How to post to forum
Can you explain in more detail? Where is the "post to Forum link" you refer to located? What is your access setting for your forum?

Visit the Kunena documantation .
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by core2.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:How to post to forum
That's a very good question. Thank you for asking it.

I agree with you that the mechanics of posting messages and creating new threads are not intuitive; however, I observe that, by creating a new discussion topic yourself, you've already demonstrated your awareness of how to do it! You haven't stated, though, if the functionality is non operational at your site, so I'll assume that you don't have anything broken.

To summarise the procedure, your users won't see the icon unless they're viewing a message board or forum (to use the Kunena term).

Users can, of course, to messages they're viewing and that's one way your users will develop confidence to contribute to the discussions. When users want to start their own discussion topics, like you have done here, things get a bit trickier. To start the process they need to be viewing a "forum". For example, at www.kunena.com , your browser would need to displaying a page like www.kunena.com/forum?func=showcat&catid=2 .

Now, if you could package what I've just written into an easy-to-follow procedure for your users, your blood would be worth bottling! :laugh:
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 11 months ago #4 by pagecafe
Replied by pagecafe on topic Re:How to post to forum
The page I am referring to is located at:
www.pagecafe.org/din/component/option,co...func=showcat&catid=1

It says Post to Forum at the top, but there is no area to submit content or a link on the Post to Forum text.

I am not sure what you mean by "When users want to start their own discussion topics, like you have done here, things get a bit trickier. To start the process they need to be viewing a "forum"." What is a forum?

I must be missing something somewhere!:dry:

More
14 years 11 months ago #5 by grumblemarc
Replied by grumblemarc on topic Re:How to post to forum
You have other problems. No graphical elements showing. CSS doesn't look like it's loading. You've got some kind of infinite loop going on with your links. Probably more that I haven't seen.

Do you have some kind of SEF enabled? Were there errors when you installed Kunena?

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
14 years 11 months ago #6 by johnnydement
We had plans for 1.1 (in fact is already done) to allow creating of new threads from everywhere, using a category selector done in ajax (you can thank jonijnm for it ;)), but the strong desire for 1.5 native version got priority, but you can expect this system in future releases. That way we will be able to create new posts not only from categoryes, but from anywhere we decide to put a button. Also we will be able to post to another forum different that the one we're currently (that one will still be marked as default when calling the post editor from there)

More
14 years 11 months ago #7 by pagecafe
I do have sh404SEF enabled, I received the loop too, but then purged sh404SEF and it worked. I was able to post, but you are right it looks funky.

I do not recall having errors when I installed.

I did try to use it with Community Builder.

More
14 years 11 months ago #8 by pagecafe
Can you recommend a step by step procedure for setting up the forum? I have tried to find info in the documentation and have not had much luck.

What template do you recommend? I just set it to default.

It looks like it is using the css from the joomla template and not the Kunena template?

I finally was able to post, but that feature is buried in the system.

Help!

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #9 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:How to post to forum
pagecafe wrote:

The page I am referring to is located at:
www.pagecafe.org/din/component/option,co...func=showcat&catid=1

Thank you for providing us with a picture! :)

pagecafe wrote:

It says Post to Forum at the top, but there is no area to submit content or a link on the Post to Forum text.

The "Post to Forum" text is part of your site's breadcrumb trail .

pagecafe wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by "When users want to start their own discussion topics, like you have done here, things get a bit trickier. To start the process they need to be viewing a "forum"." What is a forum?

When I wrote "when users want to start their own discussion topics, like you have done here, things get a bit trickier" I meant that it's more difficult to provide instructions to a beginner user on how they have to get to a place in Kunena where they have the ability to create a . As johnnydement wrote ( #10492 ), there are plans to make this more accessible in the future.

Regarding the other matters I raised, I tried to illustrate what I meant by the narrow meaning of the term "forum" - I meant that in a Kunena sense - the URL reference I provided is an example of a "forum". Perhaps someone else has a better word?

grumblemarc wrote:

You have other problems. No graphical elements showing. CSS doesn't look like it's loading.

Leaving aside the other observations he's made, it's reasonable to conclude that pagecafe has attempted to use the "Joomla style" CSS to render his forum.

@pagecafe: can I make a couple of simple suggestions? Go to your backend and select Components » Kunena Forum » Kunena Configuration » Frontend and make the following changes:
  • Joomla Mambot Support = no
  • Template = default_ex
  • Image Sets = default_ex
  • Default Kunena Page = Recent Discussions
  • Use Joomla Style = no
These changes will probably solve most of your current problems
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
14 years 11 months ago #10 by pagecafe
That really helped - Thank you!

Now - what do you recommend on settings or instructions to the forum visitor that they need to go to Board Categories, General Discussions, Test Forum to start posting.

Is there anyway to make posting more visable? Or reduce the number of levels? Or a way to post instructions on the entry page of the forum so they can figure it out?

You have been extremely helpful.

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds